How you can help
There are many volunteer roles within Citizens Advice Elmbridge (West) and we can help you find one that suits your skills, experience and/or interests as well having the opportunity of meeting and working with like minded colleagues. Citizens Advice Elmbridge (West) is a team committed to serving its community.
Types of volunteer roles available
Receptionists contribute to the smooth running of the advice service and are often the first point of contact into the service for many of our clients.
The receptionist tasks include :
- Welcome all clients and other visitors to the local Citizens Advice
- Manage client expectations and provide clients with our client information form to complete
- Input information from the client form onto our database
- Print and scan documents
- Update spreadsheets and databases
- Answer the telephone, reply to emails and post
- Help with the day to day running of the Citizens Advice service
A sound support structure is essential for the running of any organisation. Administrators are key to enabling the advice centres to run smoothly and efficiently. There are various administrative roles, so we will try to match your skills and time to our service needs.
The administrator tasks include:
- Using computer spreadsheets, databases and word processing software
- Maintaining and developing administrative systems
- Stock control of leaflets and materials and updating local information
- Helping to arrange events
- Handling correspondence, telephone calls, email and faxes
- Taking notes and minutes at meetings.
Citizens Advice Elmbridge (West) is a registered charity with a Board of Trustee Directors.
Some of the Trustee roles require specific skills but we welcome people of all ages, backgrounds and experience who are representative of our local community. The Trustee Board meets in the evenings so this role could well fit with other full time employment or responsibilities. If you would like to play a central role in a well known and respected charity, this might be just what you’re looking for.
The Trustee Board is responsible for the Governance of the advice centre. It is responsible for:
- Overall strategic direction
- As employer for the paid staff
- Financial control
- Legal compliance
- Premises and overall service
Without our team of trained volunteer Advisers we could not meet the demands for our service. They are key to our service.
We would be looking for volunteers that are willing to make a minimum commitment of two years, including a weekly time commitment to this role, excluding holidays.
The role of an Adviser is to:
- Interview clients in the advice centre, over the telephone and at outreach sessions
- Research information from our electronic information system and other sources
- Provide advice, explanation and help with the choices and consequences that the client faces
- Help clients negotiate with people such as creditors and service providers
- Give practical help by writing letters, making telephone calls, completing forms, etc
- Refer clients to other agencies who are better placed to help
- Keep detailed records of all clients’ cases
- Prevent future problems for clients by identifying failing policies and poor services.
The Adviser’s Skills
- You don’t need any particular qualifications or experience to train as an Adviser but you will need to:
- Demonstrate that you understand and support the Aims and Policies of the Citizens Advice service
- Have good listening skills
- Be able to work in a team
- Have good communication skills and be able to read and write English and do basic calculations
- Enjoy helping people
- Be supportive to clients and colleagues
- Be confident using Information Technology
- Understand problems people may be facing in the local community.
We provide free formal and comprehensive accredited training which is backed up by excellent support, supervision and guidance to help you develop the skills you need to deliver a high quality service to our clients. Once you have qualified as a Generalist Adviser, you will have the opportunity to develop further skills and increase the depth and breadth of your knowledge.
Citizens Advice Elmbridge (West) is a registered charity and is totally dependent on funding from a variety of sources including the statutory sector, charitable trusts and private donations.
We are always looking for fundraising volunteers to work in the following ways with our Business Development Manager and Chief Executive Officer, to meet our fundraising objectives;
- Researching fundraising opportunities online and in the community,
- Help organising local fundraising events,
- Supporting the promotion of our work through updating our marketing materials
Even if you only have a few hours a week to spare, this makes a big difference to our efforts, so please get in touch if you would like to have an informal discussion with our Business Development Manager email email@example.com